No Such Thing as Over Kill
You can sum up all of Sun Tzu as: "Never pick a fair fight.".
Now I would never presume to tell another player how they should or shouldn’t defend their hole vs intruders. You want to win the engagement that’s for sure. A corp/alliances home hole is sacred but something can be said for finesse in use of force.
TLDR: AAR/Story of a TLC skirmish, where TLC unleashed hell on one brave caracal pilot.
I want to say to any and all C5 residents who have ever tangled with us, THANK YOU. Thank you for bringing content to my crew and I. Since living in C5 space we have fought with the best that wormhole space has to offer. Fighting with you all has been the highlight of my EVE career.
As of late, our tactics have been attempting to break the wormhole meta (T3/Guardian support). We do this for a few reasons. To field a comparable fleet we need to have warm bodies that know their ships. Our corp is small, we care rarely muster more than 5 actual humans at a single sitting, so this option isn’t really in our grasp at the moment. So we focus on our strengths.
1. We know what everyone else will bring. The current wormhole space high end pvp spectrum is T3 fleets with guardian support. VERY short range and designed to fight on a wormhole at point blank range. This fleet is what many higher end wormholers would consider as being necessary for fighting in c5/c6 space, so nearly everyone brings that.
Knowing this, we can bring the hard counter. Which is ranged combat. You get less kills to be sure, but you win far more moral victories.
2. Being small, we can be more flexible, dynamic and spontaneous. Making moves that are outside of the comfort zone of an attacker, we can take fewer isk loses and still provide content for anyone who wishes to come calling. This is, what everyone is seeking right?
I login to hear on voice coms. “Legion on the C2!” by one of our newer pilots. Some confusion about which C2 ensues and a hawk is lost. http://underwear.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20499179 --
I ask the pilot of the Hawk, who it was. The Last Chancers. TLC for short.
These guys are slightly wormhole famous. They are a huge alliance based out of a C6 static C5. SUSU has had run ins with them in the past and we have yet to ever win any of the engagements vs them. It’s been my personal experience that they simply don’t fuck around.
So we go about figuring out where they are connected to us.
During the time it took us to find where they were, we saw 3 Proteus , 1 Legion, 1 Arazu, 1 Falcon, and various cov ops ships on D. There were 3 SUSU humans online.
TLC put a proteus on the c2.
Now NOT fighting isn’t an option for us, but getting smoked in close range brawling combat by superior forces isn't fun. So we bring out the sniping vexors! Each of these vexors are set up with microwarp drives, warden sentry drones and are cheap as hell. These vexors can hit effectively out past 120k and can target just as far.
We shot the bait proteus at range and chased the close range proteus off the c2 wormhole, another proteus uncloaked on top of my sentries, and begun killing them. I was forced to get more sentries. Sad face.
I guess they were waiting for us to escalate more so they held the falcon and arazu, and god only knows how many other T3s in reserve. Ha, jokes on them, the vexors were all we had.
TLC got bored and went back home. About this time, Dan Hour logged on and asked. “Is there something to shoot?” We said, yea.. a c6 filled with TLC. He said what any balls out SUSU guy would say. “I’m logging in my caracal!”
We said, "GL brave warrior" and started to giggle.
Now if anyone reading this doesn’t know, a caracal is a Tech 1 cruiser that specializes in missiles and shield tank. Not exactly the most dangerous ship in the world, but in the right hands, it can be quite formidable.
So off Dan went to fly his caracal of victory to the TLC C6. He has no probes and gives no fucks. We asked him to read off what was on D-Scan when he jumped in.
He speaks in local. “I’m in your hole!” they respond with “so what”, clearly not threatened with a caracal.
TLC then responds with warping two archons to their wormhole connection. Dan pulls range from the hole and both archons drop sentries attempting to remove the pesky cruiser. No luck.
So TLC bring in another archon, because when trying to deal with a Tech 1 Cruiser in your wormhole, the next best thing to 2 carriers is 3!
Then a phobos so he can’t escape.
Then a moros, then 2 legions, a Loki, a few marauders, cause why not?
Dan sets up some perches about the hole, and begins to set up a few bounces. Finally they dispatch a daredevil to deal with the troublesome Dan Hour.
With hilarious results.
http://underwear.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20520212 --- Dig the price tag on that. Put down by a T1 cruiser that costs about 20 mill.
Dan shouts in local. “Op success!”
I was listening to how much fun he was having, and decided to join him in the TLC home. I jumped into my Trusty Firetail and headed for glory. I took a screenshot of what was waiting for me on the inside of the TLC home hole.
This is a top down view.
Holy Bob’s Sweet Balls!...
Now I want to point something out. Yes that’s a few space craft… yes those are pantheon set up archons with dread support, but this is in a C6 Cataclysmic Variable! This is a 100% boost to remote armor reps, 100% boost to capacitor transfer, and 100% bonus to capacitor recharge rate. It would be difficult to imagine a more difficult group of ships to try and break.
Meanwhile the brave Dan Hour continued his holy quest to try and kill more stuff before his eventual destruction. Target selection was slim due to the massive response from TLC but he saw a Sabre being brave and went for it. He got the sabre down to structure before getting popped by part of the TLC response fleet. http://underwear.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20520210
He opened up a convo with the Sabre pilot after.
- 2013.11.16 22:07:35 ] tolptila Parsons > hey whats up
- [ 2013.11.16 22:07:51 ] Dan Hour > DID YOU NOT DIE?
- [ 2013.11.16 22:07:55 ] Dan Hour > srry caps
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:02 ] tolptila Parsons > bastards didnt even let me whore the pod
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:11 ] tolptila Parsons > no i got off
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:14 ] Dan Hour > fuck
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:18 ] Dan Hour > how low?
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:33 ] tolptila Parsons > 32 structure
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:37 ] Dan Hour > :P
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:45 ] Dan Hour > thanks for the fight guys
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:48 ] tolptila Parsons > gf fight that was fun
- [ 2013.11.16 22:08:49 ] Dan Hour > i had no cap
- [ 2013.11.16 22:09:11 ] Dan Hour > was hoping you stay in your bubble
- [ 2013.11.16 22:09:14 ] tolptila Parsons > you r a sneaky 1
- [ 2013.11.16 22:09:22 ] Dan Hour > :)
- [ 2013.11.16 22:09:44 ] Dan Hour > burn towards that raiper and arazu so i cant catch you like that next time
- [ 2013.11.16 22:10:06 ] tolptila Parsons > you werew damped thats y i got out
- [ 2013.11.16 22:10:21 ] tolptila Parsons > love your title
(Dan Hour is honorary “Racist Spy”)
- [ 2013.11.16 22:10:32 ] Dan Hour > :P haha
- [ 2013.11.16 22:11:08 ] Dan Hour > tell that dram to check guys before he solo tackles
- [ 2013.11.16 22:11:24 ] Dan Hour > thanks for the fun and fly safe o/
- [ 2013.11.16 22:11:40 ] tolptila Parsons > ya that was a good kill for ya
- [ 2013.11.16 22:11:48 ] tolptila Parsons > you brother
- [ 2013.11.16 22:11:52 ] tolptila Parsons > too*
Thank you TLC for showing us there is no such thing as, too much force!